I am in Chattanooga.

My goal was to make it at least to Birmingham, but because I stopped right before getting to Birmingham to eat, I was able to go a few more hours to make it all the way here.

July 6th……


July 8th.

I started writing that entry while sitting on a king size bed in a Best Western right outside Chattanooga.  Then I realized I was sitting on a king size bed in a Best Western right outside Chattanooga and that I was really TIRED.  I had spent over 12 hours in the car that day, so I shut the laptop down and passed out.

Just now I was sitting here thinking about finishing this entry and thought, but I started it on my laptop–and now Im at the desktop. Should I start a new entry or fire up the laptop?  I’m EXHAUSTED and for an entire 20 minutes totally forgot that, uhm, this entry is saved in wordpress–not the laptop.  And furthermore, only realized this when I decided I was too tired to fire up the laptop and logged into wordpress to find my draft, like… oh right.

I’m still delirious from the trip.

On under 5 hours sleep, I drove the last 9 hours of the trip to get home yesterday.  You know, driving long distance is really exhausting! You would think just because you’re sitting back in a comfortable seat, that it’s easy–but it’s not.  You have to stay alert the entire time and because people don’t all drive at the same consistent speed–you can’t even set cruise control and sit back either.  Knowing that you’re so close, yet so far, keeps you from wanting to make ANY unneccessary stops — which then drags out the trip even longer. In my situation, I had the backseat so full of things that I had to push the driver’s seat forward and couldn’t even stretch out my legs all the way.  It was miserable. I had also forgotten to set my GPS to eastern time, so when I realized it was still set to central time and that the arrival time it was announcing was off by an hour and that I actually still had one more hour left on the road, on a highway that refused to fucking end, I turned the radio off and drove in utter silence, literally sulking.

Any funny highlights I had from the first leg of the trip, that I clearly intended to blog about, are totally gone now. Whatever. I didn’t get pulled over for speeding, didn’t get stuck in traffic for two hours, didn’t break my sunroof and didn’t whatever else plagued the same trip in the opposite direction when I took it last year to get to Texas.  Other than it being so god damn long, the trip went really smoothly.

Oh, I guess I was probably going to say something philosophical about my returning to Virginia and giving my relationship with Ken a second shot.  Who cares, though.  Other than it took spending a year apart to realize we didn’t have it so bad after all and that we argue about the same things all couples argue about; money, sex, drying pots on the stove–that there was no real BIG reason to be so dramatic about getting up and moving away to like an entire other state. Or something.  Well, that and that the entire year that we spent apart–we still talked on the phone a hundred times a day– so our relationship sort of expanded to a level that we’d never reached before as just “a couple.”

I’m not pretending it’s flawless suddenly, far from it–but then–I’m too delirious right now to elaborate.

Wow, this entry is all over the place.

After driving 9 hours yesterday on less than 5 hours sleep I proceeded to stay awake with Ken until 4 am–making the total time I’d been awake equal exactly 20 hours. In the past 3 days, I had probably slept no more than 10 hours total. I kept saying throughout the night, “I can not believe I am still awake!”  I finally dozed off sometime after 4 only to be torn from my sleep a little after 7 when Ken sent one of the glass shelves we have hanging by our bed crashing down in a loud spectacular crash.  I haven’t been able to fall asleep since that happened over 2 hours ago and Ken was able to fall asleep, unaffected, 2 minutes later.

He is still snoring.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.